There are many factors that can help you to choose the exact BI reporting process , usually reporting styles falls into the self-services analysis, Parameterized and operational reporting business reporting, performance reporting and score carding.
- Self-Service Analysis – The best analysts and the best assets as well, in most organizations are the users who love to get into the data and really understand why the business is performing in this way. They want to perform self-service analysis without reliance on IT and entirely using BI. They want to do easily drill down, pivot, filter and formatting of data and get integrated information from a variety of heterogeneous sources without the need of specialized technical skills.
- Business Reporting –Business Reporting is not much important as self-service , it just as important to organizations due to the power users in business functions to generate formatted and distributable reports deployed in multiple formats such as PDF, Excel, HTML, and so on. Reports are normally based on approved corporate data, and then more broadly shared with managers, teams, or departments
- Parameterized & Operational Reporting – just like to the Business Reporting style, Parameterized &Operational Reporting is also recognized by fixed-format reports that are supposed to be distributed to the responsible parties for each store, area, or other organizational entity ,without requiring user involvement to locate, in a timely manner and run the report.
- Performance Monitoring – Just as car dashboards help a driver quickly view and realize the real-time operational performance of the automobile, a BI dashboard report helps business decision makers realize and get quick view of the current health of their business. A dashboard usually combines key performance indicators from various business functions on a solo page to help provide a quick view of performance and the ability to drill down further when something is getting off the track or performing extremely well. This is called “Performance Monitoring (Dashboard)” style.
- Scorecarding – Score carding is also a style that describes highly assembled and summarized views with Key Performance Indicators (or KPIs) and with different scored against its predefined targets like a balanced scorecard.